Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] New to Linux and UBUNTU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] New to Linux and UBUNTU

Hello fellow peoples.

I am new to the entire Linux experience. I have always used Windows and finally trying to switch over from the Microsoft Monopoly. I have used Windows based software and OS since 97. I thought I was pretty good until I got into Linux, and now I feel like it is the first time I have looked at computer. Kind of like Neo in the 1st Matrix first using his eyes.

I have a PC system with AMD64 3200+ with Epson NX300 Printer. Thus far I really enjoy UBUNTU 8.10 64bit. So far I have not run into any real problems with the exception of getting my printer install.

As earlier stated I know nothing of Linux, got through my first install cause it was basically automated. I can get by on everything as is for now but, I really need to get my printer working as soon as possible.

I don't know how to go about trying new drivers from websites. I don't even know where to begin cause I don't understand the terminology, the file system, or the programing for Linux. I am fast at learning computers, so if someone could help I would really appreciate it. At least enough to help me get my printer going for now.

Right now when I connect the printer it comes up recognises the printer as the Epson NX300, but then uses the driver for Epson DX8450. But when I print a test page it doesn't print anything it just starts rolling paper through until it runs out of paper and when I print from open office nothing happens.

Again Thank you for any help in advance and sorry for the long first post.

AJ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New to Linux and UBUNTU

Here is a site to get you started, welcome to ubuntu, and enjoy.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801404
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans

avasys which is epson list a driver for your printer
    http:
    //avasys.jp/hp/page000001300/hpg000001251.htm

select allinone on left tab and nx300 is listed.
    select ubuntu as os if you have 32 bit system, if 64bit your need some help and post back machine spec
    Last edited by teaker1s; January 3rd, 2009 at 08:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AJExtreme View Post
    Right now when I connect the printer it comes up recognises the printer as the Epson NX300, but then uses the driver for Epson DX8450.
    Here it says it is supported :
    http://openprinting.org/show_printer...n-Stylus_NX300

However in my Ubuntu 8.10 I don't see it under Epson Stylus NX300.
    It's possible that you only need to find a ppd file for it, and import that.

Beans
    Distro

And here is one that might help with your printer, it is for a different model, but hopefully it will help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=599673
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Tweaker1s I downloaded all the files. But am unsure what to do with them. They are on my desktop. I also have a 64 bit system, Would that effect the use of those files? I am ready to move to the next step of doing something with them I think...LOL..I Hope..

Thanks albinootje, I saw that it says compatible, I want to try to find the ppd file and import it but I have not idea on how to or even what a ppd file, I mean guess it is for managing the hardware, but how do I get it and import it.

I am trying to understand about terminal, I am guessing it is basically like DOS, but I have not used DOS is a lot of years. and it is hard when I don't really understand the file structure let a lone the commands. I want to learn it all but right now I just need to get my printer... I was going to dual boot, so I didn't lose function until I understood more, but I screwed my Windows in the process of installing Linux.

I really appreciate you all helping get me through this issue.
    Last edited by AJExtreme; January 3rd, 2009 at 09:38 PM.

Beans

Okay we can try to install the 32 bit deb on 64bit open terminal
    Applications>Accessories>terminal

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libc6-i386 ia32-libs lib32asound2 util-linux
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i –force-architecture nameofpackage.deb
    Failing that I can extract ppd file for you
    Last edited by teaker1s; January 3rd, 2009 at 10:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tweaker I went to terminal, i put the first code in, and it is doing a lot of stuff.. Pertty cool. I don't know for sure what is going on, but guessing it is installing something... that is cool! After it finishes doing this then do I still put the second code in.. do i copy and paste or do i put the name of package in? What is name of package.

Beans

what I've done is told your computer to download and install 32bit compatibility libraries in first command.

You should find the package you downloaded from avasys on your desktop with extension .deb

second command you need to replace nameofpackage.deb with the package name you downloaded and leave the .deb extension on end-we have told package manager to ignore the fact that it's 386 and we will try to use compatibility libaries to provide compatibility with 64bit

If this fails then tell me if your using hardy or ibex and I'll get the ppd for you to try.
    Last edited by teaker1s; January 3rd, 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried putting that in but it will not take, it I get the following message

Photo Image Print System Lite
    This software is a filter program used with Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS) from the Linux. This can supply the high quality print with Seiko Epson Color Ink Jet Printers.
    This product supports only Epson ESC/P-R printers. Its function is same as Photo Image Print System. Unlike Photo Image Print System, which requires different pakage for each printer model, only one pipslite package can be used for all Epson ESC/P-R printers.
    For detail list of supported printer, please refer to our Web page: http://avasys.jp/

This is a copy of my terminal reading for the last entree

aaron@aaron-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg -i –force-architecture pipslite_1.3.0-2_i386.deb
    [sudo] password for aaron:
    dpkg: error processing –force-architecture (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing pipslite_1.3.0-2_i386.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    –force-architecture
    pipslite_1.3.0-2_i386.deb
    aaron@aaron-desktop:~$
    Last edited by AJExtreme; January 3rd, 2009 at 10:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast